Friday, May 26, 2017

New! Evans, GA

Hey everyone!
3010 English Lane Apt. 714
Evans, GA  30809
As of May 16, 2017

I have been transferred now. My new area is the Stevens Creek ward in Evans, GA. Which is a super rich area and also one of the smallest in the mission. It is a bike area full time.  I have a way nice apartment, it is pretty small though.  There are a lot of hills but none are to huge.  My new companion is Elder Campos.  He is 6'6" and wears a size 15 shoe.  He is a monster of a man.  He has been out for about 9 months now and likes to work out.  We just got a new ward mission leader here and a lot of excited ward missionaries.  This area is going to be the bomb!

This last week we did tons of service! We moved 4 people and it was way fun.  We got the Martinez elders to come help us out and we went and helped them out with some stuff also.  With the 8 of us we were able to make a lot of people's loads way lighter.   We got lots pizza for helping with the moves which is never a hurtful thing.

At one of our dinners there was a super sassy little girl and all of us missionaries were arguing to be her favorite.  Well she came up with a genius idea on how to decide.  She came up with a chalk war.  We all had to draw pictures of what she asked us to in chalk and who ever was the best artist won.  Then she could still not decide, so she decided we were all her favorites.  :)

Every Saturday morning we go to a  park and play Ultimate Frisbee with non-member military guys  (we are near Fort Gordon, but we do not cover it in our area).  It is so much fun and gets brutal.  I came away all scraped up since the park has grass but right on clay and it is solid ground.   I had a lot of ninja catch attempts, but just ended up with nice raspberries all over my knees and elbows! My team won though and it was a blast!

There is a Firework show here called Thunder over Evans.  We had no Idea about it but it happened right behind our apartment complex.  We did not hear it  or see it too much while the whole show was going on but we sure did during the finale!  It was so loud and bright. We were inside and I thought and massive deathly storm had just rushed in.  Elder Campos was in the bathroom though and thought a truck had just ran through our apartment and came running out as fast as he could.  The blasts were so big it looked like continuous lightning streaking through the sky and set car alarms off all around our apartment it was crazy!

There are some Vivint Alarm salesmen out here from BYU.  About 10 of the 14 are members and they are all way awesome guys.  One of them is actually from Star, ID. A town about 6 miles away from Middleton.

Mom: Wow you are a super mom and teacher who knew? I DID!  Good job on your ISAT scores.  That is a lot of miles that is way cool.  We have a treadmill here and so I get to run every morning still now too.  I am pretty sure I have already gone home and back with all of my miles and am working on my way back again now!:p  With the biking and walking I have done. That is crazy that school is already out and that graduations are here.  We got to go to the seminary graduation here last night.  Have fun at all of the appointments! love you mom!

G4: Did you do well in the play? Wow that sounds like a pretty crazy weekend sister and don't you know it is not nice to hit with sticks!

TAli: Wow that is a lot of puking and that is gross!  Why would you have gone back for more?  I have to be careful when riding with people not to get car sick and throw up here.  I can not take Dramamine since it makes me pass out.  You 3 sound like quite the crazy crew though!   I love you anyway though! Love you tali!

Tay:   Sounds like a pretty great week bro did you tear it up at volley ball?  And finals is always a rough week hope you did well though and that you had tons of fun on the campout!! The youth here just got back from a rafting trip! Love you tay!

Dad:  I am glad they are doing the Fathers and sons again.  who are the Kenningtons?  yeah my area is nice and so far seems like it will be amazing and my comp and I get along pretty well plus we are around some pretty good missionaries too!  Love you dad!!

Love you all!!

Elder Legg

Jenny Phillips found this on FB :)
Thanks Jen! 




This is something super sweet I found in my emails this week as I was reading through them!
Elder Legg,
   This is going to sound kinda weird and you probably won't remember me, but this is * from your BYS group from 2015 when you were a counselor! In case you need a refresher, I was the one who wanted to leave the second night, but ended up staying:) This is a really hard email to write because I have been wanting to write you and explain the impact you have really made on my life. Well, almost two years ago, I can pretty safely say I was having the hardest time of my life so far. I was struggling with so much and then Kaylynn texted me saying she had a spot open up for one of her sessions. I wanted to say yes, but immediately I had this feeling that I couldn't do it. That I just wasn't good enough to even go to something like this. A couple weeks pass and the night before, I get this thought in my head that I should go, even just to prove to myself that I could do something, because I could always come home and try to forget what happened if it was too hard. So, it was maybe the hardest thing to do when my dad literally had to drag me out of his car and take me to the sign-in spot. But, I did it. But that was only the beginning.
  The second day, I had this rush of negativity and doubt and even fear come over me. It lasted all afternoon until we were about to go to the concert. I felt so alone and in this dark place and so I thought there was something wrong with me, that I was messed up in some way, that I couldn't do the easiest thing, sit through a concert. At first, I was so mad, because I just wanted to go home, to hide, but nobody was about to willingly let me go. They really wanted me to stay. But, part of it was I felt like I was such a burden, that I didn't want to stay and mess up everybody's good experience.
  You came back and asked me to sit by you in the concert. I was unsure at first, but then you made me smile with a joke or something and I decided to just go sit with you. Then, you just talked to me. You didn't treat me like I was damaged or different or difficult, you just talked. In that moment, I had such a peace and comfort come over me. You reminded me so much of my brother who had left on his mission a couple months prior. A brother I really needed to talk to. And you just talked.
 The next day in the goodbye note you and Kaylynn wrote, you told me you had left the concert to pray for me, that I would stay.
  That note. That note has been in my journal ever since, because for the first time in a long time, I really felt the love of Christ. I felt like I mattered, I felt like I was worth someone's prayer outside of my family. And that really helped. I started healing and praying and studying and really looking to fix myself. I started to change my life.

Now, a couple years (and tears:) later, I will just say thank you. Thank you for being so in tune with the spirit that you thought to pray. That you thought enough of me and of your job as counselor and mentor to pray to God. My testimony might not be the most eloquent and I still may not believe a lot of the principles of the gospel yet, but I can't deny that your prayer and your thought to prayer really made me feel the love that allowed me to heal. Never underestimate your influence on others Tyson!

*
P.S. How are you? I probably should have started with something a little less deep at the beginning, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment